Introduction of SulabhENVIS Centre
An ENVIS Centre set up by Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF), Govt. of India.
Man progressively changes his environment to meet his biological, physical and social needs. During the provision, utilization, upgradation and maintenance of self and material necessities, many harmful and worthless byproducts originate. The population explosion, urbanization and industrialization have resulted in serious problems that confront mankind in the present times .
Water quality and quantity are intrinsically linked to hygiene and sanitation, which in turn depend to a great extent the sewage treatment and technology used. Unfortunately in India, due to paucity of funds, lack of skilled manpower, and also due to the negligence and unwillingness of the powers that be, the status of HS & ST is abysmally low. The need of the hour is to pay greater emphasis on sanitation, water and sewage treatment and thereby enable the reduction and eradication of deaths and diseases that are attributed to this factor.
This centre was setup at International Institute of Health and Hygiene (earlier known as Sulabh International Institute of Health & Hygiene) in the year March 2003, under the ENVIS-CEP (Capacity Enhancement Programme), through the Ministry of Environment and Forest to act as store house for compilation, processing, analysis and dissemination of data/information pertaining to latest research in the field of HS&ST. The Centre has develop a Website and feed the relevant data on the assigned subject area for wider dissemination to all concerned.
- Creation of Website on Hygiene, Sanitation and Environment, Sewage Treatment Systems and Technology.
- Monthly compilation of News items on Hygiene, Sanitation and Environment, Sewage Treatment Systems and Technology.
- Identification of information/data gaps in the specified subject areas and action taken to fill these gaps.
- Database creation on Hygiene, Sanitation and Environment, Sewage Treatment Systems and Technology to be put on website.
- Contribution of news items for ENVIS newsletter.
- To establish and operate a distributed clearing house to answer and channel queries related to the allocated subject.
- To establish linkages with information users, carriers and providers from among Govt., academia, Business and Non Governmental Organizations including ENVIS.
• Sewage Treatment Systems and Technology